Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Rat droppings

Look for rat droppings near your food supplies. A variety of sizes may indicate an established colony with both older and younger animals.—Rat Infestations-How to Tell if You Have a Rat Problem

‘The Arroyo administration spruced up the Arlegui Mansion just in case the incoming legitimately elected president decides to use it as his official residence,” my son informed me.

“What a nice gesture,” I commented.

“Gloria Arroyo paid for the renovation out of her official budget,” he added.

“Wow, that’s even more admirable. But why are you smiling?” I asked.

“Because she appointed the mansion with furniture from the Marcos era.”

“You see malice in everything Gloria does,” I told him.

“That would be true if furniture was the only questionable appointment she made,” he replied.

“Are you referring to those midnight appointments?”

“I prefer to call them rat droppings, those little mementos that a rat leaves behind after she goes through your pantry,” he replied.

I had to admit that “rat droppings” is a better term to describe what the press euphemistically calls “midnight appointments.”

“Well, Noynoy Aquino can hose them away after he is sworn into office,” I said.

“Wrong, pops,” he said. “Those rat droppings won’t wash away that easily. They have a protective cover called Supreme Court.”

“The Court will see through those appointments and rule accordingly,” I argued.

“Just like the way it ruled on the appointment of Chief Justice?” he replied.

“Touché, but Noynoy can still appeal to her appointees’ sense of delicadeza.”

“Are you kidding?”

“Why not?” I replied. “Her manicurist declined an appointment to the housing fund.”

“She’s different. She took care of Gloria’s nails, the other appointees tended another part of Gloria’s anatomy,” he said. “Look at the color of their noses,” he added.

“You don’t have to be so graphic,” I said. “Anyway, her spokesman, Gary Olivar, said that some of those appointments were made to provide continuity, that there was no irregularity involved, and that they were made in good form.”

“Olivar said ‘good form’? He should think twice before using ‘good form’ to describe things Gloria has done. Olivar’s appointment was not exactly in good form; as a matter of fact, it’s criminal!”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Dual citizens are barred from holding elective or appointive positions. It’s against the dual-citizenship law,” he explained.

“Well, he also said some of the appointments were made to provide continuity.”

“Continuity? President Aquino’s election was a wholesale rejection of the Arroyo regime! What continuity are you talking about?”

“So you want all those midnight appointees to resign at the end of the month?”

“Yes.”

“But some of them might be qualified for their position.”

“Then there’s a chance President Aquino might reappoint them,” he replied.

“Why do you keep calling Senator Aquino president? He does not become president until the end of the month,” I said.

“I know but I’ve been waiting all of nine years for the chance to use ‘President’ again. Forgive me for the premature ejaculation.”

“At any rate,” I said, “Noynoy should be more reconciliatory. The least he can do is express appreciation for the sprucing up of Arlegui Mansion.”

“Yes, I agree he should reciprocate with his own gesture of goodwill. I think his first official act should be to order the sprucing up of the Women’s Correctional for its incoming resident.”

Source: Business Mirror

No comments: